Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Noncitizen's access to public education - Arab News: "Instead of viewing education as a right for everyone who lives legally in the country, the ministry bases its stand on diplomatic considerations. We have lost a great deal by turning our universities into Saudi-only institutions. Universities should serve as places where people of different nationalities and cultural backgrounds come together, interact and learn from each other. Turning our schools into Saudi-only institutions means future generations will be denied the opportunity to interact with others."

I am reminded that in my own country children of illegal aliens have the right to public education. I remind myself that I have always found this bizarre. Why should we expect Saudi Arabia to be any different? Well, to start with, we are talking about legal aliens, not illegal aliens.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home