Saturday, April 09, 2005

Opposing the Winds of Change: ID with and without photo - Arab View

---QUOTE---
I discovered that in some areas of the Kingdom the women's ID is issued in two formats - one with a photograph and one without. I was surprised and asked what the point was of having a card that does not have a photo. Wasn't that the point behind issuing these cards in the first place, so that women would have both names and faces? Weren't we trying to avoid all the problems of fraud and theft that had occurred because of women not having IDs? So I asked my friend if having two different official IDs was legal? The official ID card is issued with a photo and is supposed to be the only document that is valid. She explained, "People are different from one area to another; in our town, (she lives in a small town) it is considered shameful that a man should see a strange woman's face. Some husbands of women who got IDs will not allow a strange man - for example at the airport or in a government office - to see his wife's face. The women must go to another room where a female officer verifies her identity. But now it is been made easier by the officials since they have issued us papers that function in the same way as IDs except that they do not carry pictures." To add amazement to my already incredulous surprise, she then added nonchalantly, "I was also told that I could put a piece of tape on my photo if a man were going to inspect it.
---UNQUOTE---

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home