Thursday, July 28, 2005


Female taxi drivers :: GN

Quoting:

"When it started people on the road saw it as something unusual,” says Ammar Bin Tamim, Dubai Transport Corporation’s Director of Administration. “At first we were afraid to have women driving at night.”

But five years on DTC’s women cabbies have clocked up substantial cultural adjustment. From the launch team of seven, who all pulled up at 10pm, the service has grown to 30 drivers and a full 24-7 coverage.
. . .
“A lot of customers take pictures of us,” says Amira. “One woman sent a photograph of me back to her husband, who thought women had a restricted life here. She said it would show him that Dubai is a modern place.”

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger secretdubai said...

The funny thing is that when I first arrived in Dubai, four years ago, I was shown to a female-driven taxi at the airport. I can't remember if she would have been a local or perhaps a Pakistani, but she was wearing a hijab. I was pretty phased and jet-lagged at the time.

And in all the time I've been here since, I've never encountered another female driver, at the airport or elsewhere.

10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home